Ultimate chocolate cake recipe
Drinking chocolate powder isn’t just for making hot chocolate with – it’s also a great baking ingredient. Don’t just use it to replace cocoa powder in recipes, though, as it’s sweeter and bulkier so you’ll also need to the flour and sugar proportions. Here’s our recipe for a delicious, moist chocolate cake made using drinking chocolate.
For the cake –
- 200g butter or margarine, softened
- 180g caster sugar
- 150g self raising flour
- 75g hot chocolate (drinking chocolate) powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large freerange eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
For the icing –
- 225g good quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 125ml double cream
- 150g butter, cut into pieces
- 225g icing sugar
- 1 heaped teaspoon instant coffee powder
What to do:
- Grease and baseline a 20cm deep round cake tin. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Beat the butter and sugar together, then whisk in the eggs and milk. Add the dry ingredients (flour, chocolate, baking powder) a little at a time, and beat until fully combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin, smooth off the top with a spoon, and bake for around 45 minutes until well-risen. The surface should feel spongy when you touch it with a finger – to check if it’s done, insert a clean skewer into the thickest part of the cake. If it comes out with no uncooked cake mixture sticking to it, the cake’s ready. Allow to cool in the tin for five minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the icing. Put the chocolate and cream in a heavy bottomed saucepan, and heat over a low heat, stirring continuously, until the chocolate is fully melted. Add in the butter, and stir until combined. Stir in the icing sugar until smooth, then remove from the heat and allow to coo and thicken.
- When the cake is completely cool, cut it in half horizontally with a large breadknife, and spread half the icing over the middle of the cake. Sandwich together and top with the remaining icing.
- Serve with a large mug of your favourite coffee.
Here at the Wholesale Coffee Company, we’re coffee experts – but we also sell all manner of related items such as powdered milk, sugar, and hot chocolate powder. To view our range, please visit our website at www.wholesalecoffeecompany.com.