Tipsy coffee cake
This delicious moist cake is soaked in coffee, liqueur and milk to give it a soft, melting texture. It’s ideal for a dinner party pudding, and can be made the night before you need it.
To serve 12, you’ll need:
For the cake:
- 30g (1oz) butter, softened
- 85g (3oz) self raising flour
- 40g (1.5 oz) cocoa powder
- 5 medium freerange eggs, separated
- 200g (7oz) sugar
- 80ml whole milk
For the drenching liquid:
- 100ml single cream
- 100ml strong black coffee, made from freshly roasted coffee beans
- 40ml coffee liqueur, such as Kahlua or Tia Maria
- 1 x 410g tin evaporated milk
- 1 x 397g tin sweetened condensed milk
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Grease a 20cm cake tin, and line the base with baking paper.
- Put the flour, 3/4 of the sugar and the cocoa in a bowl, then beat in the egg yolks and milk. Mix to a smooth batter.
- In a separate, clean bowl, beat the egg white until frothy. Add in the remaining sugar, and beat until they stand up in soft peaks.
- Carefully fold the beaten egg whites into the flour mixture using a metal spoon, and try to keep as much volume as possible.
- Pour the batter into the tin and smooth it out with the back of a spoon. Transfer to the oven, and bake for around 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the thickest part of the cake comes out cleanly with no mixture adhering to it. Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Put all the ingredients for the drenching liquid into a large saucepan, and heat very gently until fully combined. Don’t let the liquid boil.
- Use a skewer to prick small holes all over the cake. Transfer it to a shallow bowl or plate, and gradually spoon the liquid over,a little at a time. Cover the bowl with clingfilm, and transfer to the fridge for at least two hours, or overnight.
Here at the Wholesale Coffee Company we sell a great range of coffee beans at wholesale prices. For more information, visit our coffee beans page.