The Coffee Quiz
Think you’re a caffeine fiend? Find out how much you really know about your favourite drink with our coffee quiz.
1.What are ‘green’ coffee beans?
a. a particular variety of bean, highly prized for their delicate flavour
b. beans that have been harvested and dried but not roasted
c. unripe beans
2. What does ‘cappuccino’ mean?
a. It’s Italian for ‘little hood’ – the drink’s named for the Capuchin monks who wore coffee-brown robes
b. It’s Italian for ‘sweet milk’, and refers to the smooth milky texture of the drink
c. It’s Italian for ‘spice’, as the drinks are often flavoured with nutmeg and cinnamon
3. Which type of coffee is exported and drunk in the greatest quantities?
4. What are coffee beans more correctly known as?
a. Stones or pods
b. Pips or pits
c. Cherries or berries
5. How long are coffee beans roasted for?
a. around 7 – 14 minutes, depending on the strength required
b. around 20 – 30 minutes
c. around 1 – 2 hours
6. The cafetière, a simple coffee making device consisting of a glass jug and plunger, is more commonly known in the USA as:
a: an Italian plunger
b. a French Press
c. A German pot
7. When was the first commercial decaffeination process patented?
8. What’s the best place to store coffee?
a. a cool, dark, dry place
b. the fridge or freezer
c. somewhere warm, such as a shelf above the oven or on a windowsill
9. When did the first coffee house open in Britain?
10. What are the ingredients of Irish coffee?
a. brandy, coffee, cream
b. whiskey, coffee, milk
c. whiskey, coffee, cream
1 – b; 2 – a; 3 – a; 4 – c; 5 – a; 6 – b; 7 – c; 8 – a; 9 – a; 10 – c