Lemon Meringue Pie
We wanted to find the perfect cake to serve with a nice cup of steaming tea, or coffee. It’s spring, so something fresh, yet sweet enough to be indulgent. So we decided upon lemon meringue pie – sweet delicious freshness!
This recipe comes from Pass the Bread Please – a blog dedicated to the special carbohydrate diet (SCD), so perfect if you are allergic to gluten! It doesn’t contain any refined sugars either, so yay!
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 3 tbsp butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 egg yolks
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 2 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 4 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup honey
Makes one 9-inch pie!
- Heat the oven to 300ºF
- Place all crust ingredients in food processor and process until it starts to form a ball.
- Flatten the dough into a round disk between two pieces of plastic wrap and gently roll out the crust into an 11-inch circle. Put the dough, still between the plastic wrap on a baking sheet and refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge. Peel off one side of plastic wrap and place it in the pie pan and remove the other plastic wrap.
- Bake for 10 minutes until light brown in color. Set aside to cool.
- In a double boiler (or in glass bowl sitting above a pot of boiling water) whisk together the egg yolks, honey, and lemon juice.
- Slowly add the butter, a couple of pieces at a time, whisking the entire time. Add more pieces as the previous ones melt.
- After all the ingredients are melted and well-blended, cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, stirring only occasionally, until it thickens.
- Cool the lemon curd in the fridge.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they form stiff peaks, but are not dry.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the chilled lemon curd mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the cooled pie crust.
- Heat the oven to 400ºF
- Beat the 4 egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form.
- Add the honey and beat a little longer until shiny and stiff.
- Plop the meringue on top of the lemon filling, making sure it touches the crust. Form peaks and mounds as you go.
- Bake for 3-5 minutes until the peaks are golden brown.
- Cool and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.