Instant coffee recipes: spiced coffee biscuits
Here at the Wholesale Coffee Company, we love our coffee. These little spiced coffee biscuits have a delicate coffee flavour, and are the perfect partner for your mid-morning coffee break. They need at least two hours in the fridge, so start them in plenty of time.
To make around 30 to 40, you’ll need:
- 2 teaspoons good quality instant coffee, dissolved in 1 teaspoon of hot water
- 120g butter or margarine
- 100g dark soft brown sugar
- 1 freerange large egg
- 200g self raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 tablespoons chocolate vermicelli (optional)
What to do:
- In a large bowl, beat the butter or margarine, sugar, egg and coffee either by hand or with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Fold in the flour and spices, and mix until you have a stiff dough.
- Divide the dough in half. Dust your hands with flour, and shape each piece of dough into a roll about 15cm long by 4cm across, then, if you like, roll each cylinder in chocolate vermicelli, pressing gently to get the strangs to adhere. Wrap each log in clingfilm, and put in the fridge for at least two hours or overnight.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Cut the logs of dough into slices, each about 3/4cm thick. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper, and lay the slices out so that they don’t touch. Bake for around 5 to 8 minutes, until pale golden and set. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy with a large mug of your favourite coffee.
- Tip: the biscuits can be frozen in their raw state. Cook from frozen as required, adjusting the baking time slightly.
To browse our range of coffee beans, instant coffee, coffee acccessories and coffee ingredients, all at great wholesale prices, please visit our website, www.wholesalecoffeecompany.co.uk.