Instant coffee recipes: Greek frappe
This cool, refreshing Greek-inspired drink is ideal first thing in the morning, or as a dessert/coffee combination after lunch.
You’ll need (per person):
- 2 tsp good quality instant coffee
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp hot chocolate powder
- 3 ice cubes
- 50ml very hot water (i.e. just off the boil)
- 200ml chilled milk
You’ll also need a blender or smoothie maker capable of crushing ice.
What to do:
- Dissolve the instant coffee, sugar and hot chocolate in the hot water, and mix thoroughly. Pour the mixture into the blender.
- Add the ice cubes, and pulse to crush. Add the chilled milk, and pulse to mix. The mixture should look thick and frothy.
- Tip: if you don’t have a blender or smoothie maker, wrap the ice cubes in an old, clean tea towel and lay them on a chopping board. Tap them sharply with a rolling pin until the cubes are roughly crushed, then decant into a glass. Let the coffee mixture cool before beating it together with the milk using a hand blender or balloon whisk, then pour over the crushed ice. You won’t get such a thick, frothy effect, but it’ll still taste great.
- Serve immediately with a sprig of mint on the side of the glass.
- The ideal serving temperature for your Greek coffee frappe is 10 degrees Celsius.
For variation, try adding a shot of flavoured syrup to the coffee instead of sugar. Caramel, mocha, chocolate, Baileys, Amaretto and mint all work well.
For all your coffee needs, log onto the Wholesale Coffee Company website at www.wholesalecoffeecompany.co.uk. There, you’ll find wholesale quantities of fresh coffee beans, green coffee beans, instant coffee, flavoured syrups, coffee accessories and coffee ingredients, ideal for all business and commercial needs, and all available to buy online at competitive wholesale prices. To talk to us about your business needs, give us a call on 0800 012 1226 – we’re always happy to chat about our favourite subject, coffee.