A couple of years ago I spent a bit of time travelling around Thailand and became a huge fan of iced coffee with condensed milk – in other words the delicious Thai iced coffee that looks as good as it tastes. You might not think of Thailand as being a place for good coffee beans, but this recipe is certainly one to try (when the weather perks up).
Makes three Thai iced coffees
Thai iced coffee ingredients:
70g ground coffee beans of your choice
700ml boiling water
Sweetened condensed milk or evaporated milk
Sugar or coffee syrup (if you have a really sweet tooth)
Six cardamom pods
Thai iced coffee instructions:
1. First, open up the cardamom pods and using a mortar and pestle or some sort of herb grinding device, crush up the cardamom seeds so you’re left with a fine powder.
2. Mix the cardamom seeds with the ground coffee beans, place into a cafetiere, pour the boiling water over the coffee beans and cardamom powder and leave to settle for 10 minutes.
3. If you’ve got a sweet tooth, you can add some sugar to the mixture; but condensed milk is already quite sweet so you should be fine without it. By all means add some extra sugar or a flavoured syrup of your choice once you’ve tried the drink with the condensed milk.
4. You can now serve your Thai style iced coffee dividing it equally between the three glasses.
5. Finally, using a table spoon placed over the glass of iced coffee, pour in the condensed milk slowly. This way, the milk will float beautifully into the rest of the coffee creating an interesting and rather sensual pattern.
Serve with ice, drink and enjoy sweet iced coffee, Thai style.