Cream of celery soup with powdered milk
Mostly, we feature sweet recipes on our coffee site, as coffee is such a good partner with cakes, chocolate and desserts. As we also sell coffee ingredients, though, such as powdered skimmed milk, we thought you might appreciate this savoury store cupboard standby – cream of celery soup, made with powdered milk. Ideal for when you run out of fresh milk!
To make four good servings, you’ll need:
- 8 stalks of celery, washed, trimmed and cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 litre of stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 100g skimmed milk powder
- creme fraiche and chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- fresh black pepper
What to do:
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, and gently fry the onions until soft and tender. Add the celery, and saute for a few minutes until translucent and softened.
- Turn up the heat, and gradually add the stock. Bring the mixture to the boil, then simmer for around 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Transfer to a food processor, and blend until smooth. Season to taste.
- Mix the skimmed milk powder with a little water to make a thin paste, then add to the soup. Blend until completely dissolved.
- Spoon into dishes, and garnish with a spoonful of creme fraiche, a scattering of fresh parsley and some freshly ground black pepper.
This soup is great as a light lunch served with crusty bread, or makes a filling starter for an evening meal.
At the Wholesale Coffee company, we specialise in all things coffee related, including bulk bags of skimmed powdered milk. These make a great choice for adding to your coffee, but they’re also a kitchen cupboard essential for cooking and baking. For more information, and to view the rest of our range, including individual milk portions and coffee whiteners, visit our milk products page.