Coffee recipes: Spicy Hallowe’en coffee cake
This dark, moist, sticky cake is a must to accompany your mid-morning coffee on the 31st October, but it’s a treat at any time of year.
To serve 12 to 14, you’ll need:
- 650g black treacle
- 1 cup (2 sticks) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 80ml very strong black coffee, preferably made from freshly ground coffee beans
- 600g self-raising flour
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 large freerange eggs
- 570g plain yoghurt or creme fraiche
- icing sugar for dusting
What to do
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a tin approximately 20cm by 30cm, and line the bottom and sides with greaseproof paper.
- Put the ‘wet’ ingredients, i.e. the treacle, butter and coffee in a large saucepan, and heat gently until the treacle melts and everything is fully combined. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- To the now-cool saucepan, add the spices and salt. Mix to make a stiff batter, then whisk in the eggs. Fold in the yoghurt or creme fraiche, mixing until just combined, and spoon the batter into the tin. Use the back of a spoon to even the mixture out.
- Bake for around 50 to 60 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the thickest part of the cake comes out cleanly, with no uncooked cake mixture adhering to it. Allow to cool slightly in the tin.
- Turn the cake out onto a wire cooling rack, and remove the paper. Leave to cool, then dust with icing sugar and cut into slices.
If you’re looking to buy coffee beans online, either for making coffee to drink or for recipes, you’ve come to the right place. Here at the Wholesale Coffee Company, we stock a wide range of coffee beans, coffee accessories and coffee ingredients, all available to buy online at great wholesale prices. To find out more, visit www.wholesalecoffeecompany.co.uk.