Coffee parkin for Bonfire Night
As you might expect, we’re pretty fond of our coffee at the Wholesale Coffee Company, and we’re also partial to a bit of cake. As it’s coming up to bonfire night, here’s a recipe for a traditional oatmeal parkin, made just a little different with the addition of our favourite ingredient – coffee! You won’t taste the coffee in the finished cake, but it gives a darker texture and rich, moist feel. Best made a few days before required, and eaten in chunks together with a mug of your favourite coffee.
- 225g butter or margarine
- 120g soft dark brown sugar
- 55g black treacle/molasses
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of strong black coffee, made from freshly roasted coffee beans
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoons ground mixed spice
- 2 large eggs
- 200g golden syrup
- 120g fine or medium oatmeal, available from supermarkets
- 200g self raising flour
- Start by preheating the oven to 140 degrees centigrade, then grease a 20cm square shallow cake tin, and line it with greaseproof paper.
- Put the butter, sugar treacle and golden syrup in a saucepan, and melt them gently together over a low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon. Don’t overheat the mixture, or it’ll burn. Once fully combined, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Mix together the oats, flour, spices and baking powder in a large bowl, then add the sugar mixture from the saucepan. Stir everything together until the dry ingredients are coated.
- Add the eggs a little at a time, beating after each addition. Carefully add the coffee a spoonful at a time, until you have a stiff, sticky batter.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin, and place in the oven for about 1.25 – 1.5 hours until the cake is set and firm.
- Remove from the oven, and leave to cool in the tin until completely cold, then remove. If you’re not eating immediately, wrap the cake in tinfoil and store in an airtight container.
For a selection of top quality coffee beans, visit www.wholesalecoffeecompany.com. We also stock a great range of paper cups and lids suitable for outside use, to help your bonfire party go off with a bang.