Coffee panna cotta
Panna cotta, a chilled Italian dessert made with cream, is perfect for the warmer weather. Our version is made with our favourite ingredient – coffee.
To serve 6, you’ll need:
For the panna cotta:
- 500ml double cream
- 150ml espresso coffee
- 100g sugar
- 8g sheet gelatine or vegetarian substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the sauce:
- 100g good quality plain chocolate
- 80 ml espresso coffee
What to do:
- Start by making the espresso coffee from good quality, freshly-roasted coffee beans. Don’t forget you’ll need enough for the sauce, as well. Once you’ve measured out the right amount, leave it to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the gelatine by soaking it in cold water, according to the packet instructions.
- Place the cream, 150ml of coffee, sugar and vanilla extract in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Slowly heat until almost boiling – don’t let it boil properly, or the cream will start to catch and burn.
- Once the gelatine has softened a little, squeeze out any excess water and add it to the cream. Stir until melted, then strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve to remove any bits of custard skin.
- Pour into six ramekins, and allow to cool. Once cold, put them in the fridge for at least four hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, and melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl above the pan. Add the remaining coffee, and stir until fully combined.
- Carefully unmould the panna cotta, and serve with the chocolate coffee sauce and a few coffee chocolate-covered coffee beans.
Here at the Wholesale Coffee Company we love all things coffee, and we sell a great range of coffee beans suitable for all uses including cooking, and of course, drinking! All our coffee is available in single bags or bulk at wholesale prices. For more information, please visit our coffee beans page.