Coffee chocolate meringues recipe
If you fancy ending your next dinner party with something a bit different, these coffee chocolate meringues fit the bill perfectly. They’re easy to make, and can be ‘dressed up’ with chocolate sauce and cream into a really attractive display, or you could make miniature versions, leave off the sauce and cream and serve them with the coffee as an after-dinner treat.
To serve 6 to 8, you’ll need:
For the meringues.
- 3 freerange egg whites
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- 50g good quality plain chocolate
For the sauce:
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 3 tbsp cocoa
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 100ml double or whipping cream
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 140 degrees Celsius, and line two large baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Put the egg whites in a large bowl, and whisk until they stand up in soft peaks. Gradually whisk in the sugar until the mixture looks thick and glossy and stands up in stiff peaks.
- Grate the plain chocolate into the mixture, then sieve in the cocoa. Fold into the meringue until completely combined.
- Using two tablespoons, spoon dollops of meringue onto the trays, leaving plenty of space between each one. Put each tray in the oven as soon as it’s ready, and leave to cook for around 35 – 40 minutes.
- Remove trays from the oven, and slide the whole paper off onto a cooling rack, with out removing the meringues. Allow to cool for five minutes, then remove from the paper and leave to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Put all the ingredients into a heavy bottomed saucepan, and heat over a low heat until fully combined.
- Whip the cream until stiff, then use to sandwich together two meringues. Place on a plate and spoon the sauce around the edges.
Here at the Wholesale Coffee Company, we’ve got a wide range of instant coffee granules all at great wholesale prices. For more information, please visit www.wholesalecoffeecompany.co.uk.