Chocolate brownies with coffee icing
This could possibly be the ultimate indulgence – rich, gooey chocolate brownies topped with squidgy coffee icing. These are great for a dinner party, served with vanilla ice cream, or make in small batches for a treat.
You’ll need (makes 8 – 12):
For the brownies
- 180g butter or margerine, softened
- 180g good quality dark chocolate
- 85g plain flour
- 3 large freerange eggs
- 40g cocoa powder
- 270 sugar
- 60g walnut pieces (optional)
For the icing:
- 60g butter, softened
- 120g icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, and grease and base line a 20cm square tin..
- Break the chocolate into pieces and put it in a large heatproof bowl. Add the butter. Melt the mixture in the microwave in short bursts until fully melted. Allow to cool.
- Beat in the eggs, then gradually add the sugar, mixing until fully combined. Gradually add in the flour and cocoa powder, then stir in the walnut pieces.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, and smooth off the top. Bake for 20 minutes, then take the tin out and shake it. If it wobbles in the middle, put it back in for another 5 minutes. You’re aiming for sticky and gooey in the middle rather than baked solid.
- Leave to cool in the tin completely, then turn out onto a chopping board and peel off the paper.
- Make the icing. Beat all the ingredients together until you’ve got a smooth, glossy paste then spread it evenly over the cake. Cut into small squares, and store in an airtight tin until required, up to two weeks.
The perfect partner for these rich little cakes is a large cup of your favourite coffee. Here at the Wholesale Coffee Company, we stock a wide range of coffee beans and coffee related products, including instant coffee powder, ideal for all your drinking and cooking needs. To find out more, please visit our website at www.wholesalecoffeecompany.co.uk.