Autumn Blueberry Cake
For you coffee fanatics out there it might be a challenge to find something that adds to your coffee, rather than subtracts from it. That is to say: it makes your fresh roasted coffee beans taste even sweeter than when just having a plain cup of Joe.
Here at the Wholesale Coffee Co. we consume quite a lot of coffee. Our favourite at the moment is the Tunki coffee – after all Tunki coffee did receive an award as best tasting coffee in the world! All in all, a cup of Tunki coffee therefore isn’t a bad way to start your morning!
We wanted to find something seasonal to pair with our Tunki coffee with as a treat and just found this gorgeous recipe for Blueberry-Lavender Coffee Cake with lemon drizzle at Healthy. Delicious., which is looking very promising. It even promises that it won’t taste too much like perfume from the lavender. Phew.
Try the cake and try our Tunki coffee with it!
For the filling
- 1 cup blueberries
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon dried lavender
For the cake1 cup Gold Medal white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Gold Medal all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick), softened
- ? cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the glaze
- ¼ cup confectioners sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Prepare filling by combining blueberries, water, honey, and lavender in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until thick and syrupy. Let cool.
- Heat oven to 350*F. Grease the bottom and sides of a loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flours, baking soda and salt. In a second bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla. Stir in half the dry ingredients – the batter will be very thick and doughy. Stir in half the buttermilk – the batter will thin back out. Repeat.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan. Spread with blueberry filling. Top with remaining batter. (The pan will be ½ to ¾ full).
- Bake for 45-55 minutes. Let cool.
- Add the confectioners sugar and lemon juice to a small saucepan set over medium heat. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until sugar is melted. Immediately drizzle over the cake.