It’s winter and what’s more perfect than adding spice to your food? This Mexican chocolate cake is perfect as it does just that. What’s more it’s not using sugar, but rather honey and molasses (hooray!). It makes us think it’s almost healthy. In moderation anyway.
We all know that when you couple cacao with coffee you can get a real kick. Add a bit of something sweet and you will be running for hours straight. In other words: great on a cold, wintery day when the sun is as absent as the heat that normally goes with it. If you light a candle when serving it you might truly get the lift you need to the day (just make sure to have your green juice and do your yoga practice first and all that jazz. Ahem).
So we found you all a spicy, chocolate cake that will match our fresh ground coffee beans perfectly. We are always looking for that – things to match with our coffee, so if you have any ideas, you can always shoot us an email! Furthermore, of course, as always remember you can buy coffee online through our shop. Perfect if you need a lot of coffee and don’t want to carry.
Mexican Chocolate Coffee Cake by the Paleo Mom
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Line 5”X9” loaf pan with wax paper. Grease wax paper with coconut oil.
2. Sift cocoa, coconut flour, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and baking soda into a small bowl.
3. In a food processor or blender, combine eggs, honey, molasses, and vanilla. Pulse a few times to beat together. Add melted coconut oil and chocolate and process/blend for 1 minute.
4. Add dry ingredients to food processor, and pulse to combine.
5. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour (not a very forgiving cake if you burn it, so you might want to test for doneness with a toothpick at the 55 minute mark).
6. Let cool completely in the pan. Remove from pan and carefully remove wax paper. Enjoy!